Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Can Video Replace Education?



Today was my first day back to work. Ahhhh Professional Development.... one of the items that we covered today was a presentation on how one of the teachers in our district has shown significant gains in student achievement to which she attributes in large part to student's use of Khan Academy. Let me clarify by saying that she is an amazing teacher who knows her content and has the pedagogy to match, but she has decided to leverage a technology solution and it seems to be working. Check out the video from Khan founder, Sal. I love how he explains the origins of his organization. It was not meant to be a replacement for instruction, but as a resource to allow students to reference when needed. This was powerful to me. How many times does a student not ask for help when they need it because they are embarrassed or shy. I plan to implement Khan in my classroom this year. I look forward to sharing the results with you.

2 comments:

  1. Khan Academy videos are excellent resources, Rebecca, for the very reasons he mentions: the ability to start, stop, and rewind to ensure understanding. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to try it out this year (for real). It is on my blogging plan to follow up in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete