Thursday, July 20, 2017

Commentary - Effectiveness of 1:1 Devices in Education

I recently accepted a teaching position at a new school. In conversation with a fellow teacher, who also happens to be my aunt, I was discussing all of the "pros" for my decision to move. One of them was the fact that my students would have access to 1:1 devices. My aunt asked me, "Do you really think that 1:1 devices make a difference?" I immediately jumped to the answer "yes!" and while I do have my reasons, which I will share, I did wonder what research has to say about their effectiveness.

A recent meta-analysis research study reviewed 86 papers submitted on the effectiveness of 1:1 devices on student achievement and by and large the findings both quantitative and qualitative show that 1:1 devices do have a positive impact on student achievement. Perhaps it is because I am a graduate student or it is just my innate nature that "wants to know things", but after scanning through these findings and reading deeper a few of the papers that interested me, I feel better about my opinion given that research does show a positive correlation between student achievement and access to 1:1 devices.

This blog entry however is not meant to be a review of research, but a commentary on what I think. Here are the reasons why I believe 1:1 devices are beneficial:

  • Our students are digital natives. It is important that students be introduced to the functions and capabilities of technology to develop the necessary 21st century skills they will need to succeed in our tech driven world.
  • The internet is an incredible WEALTH of information. I am old enough to remember the days of card catalogs and color coded note cards that I used to research information for a report and am thankful that my students will not need to do that. Yes, it is important that we put limits and parameters on what sites students access, but teaching them to be a discerning internet researcher is a wonderful skill to develop.
  • They offer an opportunity to teach digital citizenship. Social media, all of its benefits and drawbacks, are a part of our society. It is important to teach our kids how to interact appropriately and safely in a digital world.
  • To be honest, there are a lot of freaking cool apps, games, and websites out there that support the standards students need to learn. They are already drawn to technology so why not leverage it as a resource to help meet our curricular goals.
  • Standardized tests (like them or hate them) are administered on computers. Students should be familiar with the workings of a computer so that they can focus on the content being tested, not how to operate the technology. 
  • 1:1 devices increase student engagement and participation. Students are not able to blend into the background as easily. 
  • There are a lot of programs and apps out there that can provide students with individualized learning experiences. 
  • Many technology applications can also build teamwork and collaboration skills. Another essential to a 21st century learner. 
I am incredibly excited to have the opportunity to work in a 1:1 environment next year and look forward to all that my students and I will be able to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment